Skip to main content

 


8 Tips to Teaching a Trial Lesson

by Teacher Brenda

A trial class is probably one of the hardest types of lessons, you will have to teach.

There are so many things on a checklist you must remember but here are 8 really useful tips.

-Pacing

-Student output

-Error corrections

-Rewards

-Big face, small face mode

-Speech speed

-Audience

-Feedback

Pacing

Remember we have to wow them in 25 minutes, but the first 2 are the most vital as your first impression is what will set the tone for the rest of the class. Enter with a big smile and welcome your student. Gage if they are nervous, scared, or happy to learn. Introduce yourself and ask them to introduce themselves and their age. If you have time circle the images and see if the student can recall the lesson and ask simple questions. I give secondary awards and cold hard cash. Kids love it and in the end, they can purchase from my toy store. 


Student Output:

Make sure the student is doing most of the speaking. I know this is so hard to overcome but ZebraEnglish lessons are unique in the fact that the students already come having studied the recognition part, so this should be higher up on the Bloom's Taxonomy Scale like what you would consider the revision and implementation part of the lesson. Lots of extensions. Parents love them too as it shows their kids are not just parroting. (They can do that with the application)


Error Correction:

Use your Big Screen mode and slowly try to correct the student's pace and pronunciation. Use scaling and give them clues. Like if they don't know the word wardrobe, break it up, "w - ar- dr- obe" slowly, and have them put it back together. Count to three to give them time to process. If they don't get it, encourage them and say it's ok (use their name). Also, remember to use a variety of positive encouragement TPR and words. *jellyfish *big heart "Great job, Ss name",  "Super work, Ss name", "You did it, Ss name"


Rewards:

Don't depend on ZebraEnglish for rewards only, I like to offer them lots of different kinds in a lesson.  Never underestimate the value of a reward. I have a magnet board behind me and plop up coins, hearts, happy faces, pizza, whatever is in the box next to me. I also use the stickers inside the platform and coins. Kids love encouragement and so do parents. The child will be happy and so will the parents. I started using cold hard cash, the kids love it and in the end, they can purchase stuffed animals or toys from a bin I set aside. It's been a big hit. I never realized how real money could actually be the best reward. I also have digital ones that I use for the holidays or extra encouragement. I have invested in a new tablet, and stand to hold it next to my desk to resemble a tv in the background. Holding the tablet and phone takes time so I use them sparingly. Remember when you invest you aren't doing it for the company only. You are investing in yourself and your business. Keeping up with technology is key in a technology-driven job.


Big Face- Small Face mode:

Isn't only for corrections, but is also great for silly break times between transitions. It is vital for error corrections, pronunciation, and sentence structures for lower-level students. They need to see our lips closely to mimic our sounds. I speak a couple of languages and I can't tell you how many times I make someone repeat and stare at their mouths.


Speech Speed:

This is one of the hardest things to do. We have to remember if we don't annunciate due to speaking too quickly the student will not get it. They will hear JDSOJOSonwaorjfosadoasja. This is easy to spot by their reaction. If they don't get the verbal cues, and physical cues (TPR). Then, stop and try to rephrase. Don't spend too much time. Due to time constraints, we unconsciously speed up to hurry through the content. Don't race as parents will see it and maybe disappointed.  


Audience:

Be aware you have an audience, even if you don't see them. Parents are either nearby or right next to them on a chair. Encourage the student to introduce their parents. If you see the mom or dad help them tell them "Thank you mom and give them a Zebracoin." Don't be intimidated and consider the parents like a student-teacher.  I've taught kids this little for years and with mom and dad, there the kids feel safe. Once the children get into the routine of the lessons the parents will leave. It's a normalization period, just like in school. Parents are the ones who are investing in their children. Not only should they be happy, but the parents should be too. The competition in China is massive and you need to make sure you set yourself apart from the others. 


Feedback:

Needs to be strategic and sell the benefits of having a class with you as well as specific to the student. I have a sample in ZebraEnglish Google Slides Library. This really has changed and helped me convert trials to regulars. This afternoon, after my trial  I had 5 flowers before I could send feedback, and the student signed up as a regular before my next class finished.


I am not the best but I have taken what I've learned from others and made it my own. 

I'm a little bit of

Teacher Sus *Jellyfish 

Teacher Joann * Stay positive 

Teacher Cheri *Thank the parents


I hope these tips help you. 

Last month, I opened my hours for the first time in a long time and went from 3 to 11 regulars. If you give an outstanding performance plus great feedback, then you will turn that trial into a regular. We should always give our best but the first lesson is the most important and will determine if they will select you or someone else. 



Reach out to me directly for any assistance. 

Drop me an email and let me know how I can help you.

Get free weekly tech tips here.

Come support it and get notified when I release more tips.

I am a Level 1 Google Certified Educator and take Advanced PowerPoint classes for fun.

Have a great day and Happy Teaching

Teacher Brenda













Comments